To read the Newburgh Incorporation Documents please click HERE.
Floating down the Ohio River by flatboat, John Sprinkle landed here in the spring of 1803, thirteen years before Indiana entered the Union as the 19th state. Sprinkle started the first settlement in what is now Warrick County. Originally called Sprinklesburg, later Newburgh, the community grew to be the largest riverport between Cincinnati and New Orleans by 1850.
- Newburgh is the oldest town in Warrick County.
- The first Cumberland Presbyterian Church north of the Mason-Dixon line was organized here in 1826.
- In 1833 the area's earliest paved toll road, Plank Road, was built to transport crops from Boonville to the riverport in Newburgh.
- Warrick County's first newspaper, "The Chronicle," a Whig Party proponent, was published here in 1848.
- The first shaft for deep vein coal mining in Indiana was sunk here in 1850 by a pioneer of the industry, John Hutchinson.
- Newburgh captured - July 18, 1862. The first town north of the Mason-Dixon Line to be captured by the Confederate forces during the Civil War. Brig. General Adam R. "Stovepipe" Johnson, with a guerrilla band, crossed the Ohio River and confiscated supplies and ammunition without a shot being fired.