For rentals, call Town Hall.
Residents inside of Newburgh Corporate Town Limits:
$300.00 + 7 % sales tax ($321.00) per day is required to reserve and hold rental date.
$200.00 refundable damage deposit is due when keys are picked-up the business day before the rental check-in date.
Residents outside of Newburgh Corporate Town Limits:
$375.00 + 7 % sales tax ($401.25) per day
plus a $200.00 refundable damage deposit.
Cash or checks only. Credit cards are not accepted.
Keys for Preservation Hall must be picked up between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on the last business day prior to your rental date.
Ebenezer Hall Rental Information
Ebenezer Hall Interior Photo
Deposit Return Form
Preservation Hall, 200 State Street, is a staunch landmark and has a rich history in Newburgh. Built as the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1851, it was constructed as a two-story church structure built of brick. It housed a sanctuary, choir loft, pastor's study, and the Delaney Academy. During the Civil War, the church bell tower was a signal tower used to call the Home Guard when danger threatened. The original bell in the bell tower is still used to signal meetings and special events in the Town. The first commencement exercises for Newburgh High School were held in the building in 1880. The building became the headquarters for the National Guard detachment during the 1937 flood of the Ohio River. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places May 23, 1978. It is also listed on the National Register as part of the Town core historic district. In 1965, the Town purchased the building from the church to be used as a Town Hall. It served as the seat of government and focal point of the downtown until July 2006. In 2006, the seat of government and Town Hall offices were moved to their current location at 23 West Jennings.
In 2007, the 200 State Street building was completely restored and rehabilitated with the assistance of a $500,000.00 Office of Community and Rural Affairs Community Focus Fund Grant.
The design concept for the Preservation Hall project was one of restoration and adaptive reuse. All portions of the exterior of the building were faithfully restored. A new roof, gutters and down conductors were installed, all to match the existing materials and configurations. Though the bell tower had been significantly modified in the past, old photographs were researched and utilized in achieving a historically accurate restoration. Existing brick masonry was repaired in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiors Guidelines for Historic Restoration. The original stained glass windows at the second floor were mostly intact but, where necessary, were refurbished and reinstalled. A small building addition at the west facade to accommodate an elevator for handicap accessibility was completed.
The interior of the structure was completely gutted and reconstructed to appropriately provide for the proposed uses. At the first floor, the space provides for museum displays, which will include historic photographs, artifacts, and memorabilia of Newburgh. Also on the first floor are the restrooms and a full caterers' kitchen. On the second floor, the original large assembly space was re-created for meetings, presentations, receptions, and cultural events. The elements that were incorporated into the finish construction such as trim at doors and windows, wainscots, and balustrades match the existing historic elements in terms of material, profile, and finish. The final product is a historically accurate restored and rehabilitated facility, accessible to all, available for continued use by Newburgh citizens and visitors.
The upstairs hall has been named Ebenezer Hall after the first minister of the congregation. In 1839, a petition was presented to the Indiana Presbytery requesting a division of the New Hope Society, which was the Cumberland Presbyterian Church's local organization covering Warrick County. The division was granted, and on January 14, 1840, the new society with twenty seven members was organized in Newburgh with Rev. Ebenezer Hall named as the first minister.